1. jet lag is a bitch
2. traditions can bring people together, instill mindfulness of the task at hand, and create and preserve beauty.
3. traditions can keep people apart, reinforce harmful practices, and prohibit progress and inhibit innovation.
4. ”MSG” stands for “makes stuff good.”
5. a cute cartoony mascot makes anything awesome and desirable.
6. do not build your important castles/temples/shrines out of wood. wood burns.
7. if your important castle/temple/shrine burns down, just rebuild it to look identical to the original. the tourists won’t know.
8. beef tastes delicious. you may have known this. but did you know eel is also delicious? it is.
9. Mt. Fuji does not exist***
10. all religions love golden idols. even the minimalist ones.
11. there is a technique to slurping noodles. it’s less of a suck and more of an inhale.
12. everyone needs to to sit in a garden and think sometimes—even city folk. especially city folk.
13. Calpis makes a great mixer.
14. a privatized transit system can be a thing of beauty.
15. sushi is more than just a tasty food.
16. your grandmother was right: too much candy will ruin your skin.
17. there is such a thing as a “bowing loop,” and if you get caught in/near one, you’ll be stuck for quite awhile.
18. ain’t no balls like tanuki balls.
19. it is possible to have hair a la David Bowie in Labyrinth without the use of a wig. i don’t know how, but the boys in Osaka do.
20. there are very few things rice can’t do.
21. no sane human being should attempt to consume more than one okonomiyaki in any 24 hour period.
22. Mujis are way better in Asia. way better.
23. even in a city of millions, there are still pockets of silence and stillness.
24. life is like a Japanese restroom: sometimes you get a Toto with a heated seat and built-in bidet, and sometimes you get a squatty-potty.
25. mono no aware.
***ok, so i was only ever looking for it through rain, fog, and/or dark, but still, i never saw the fucker.